-Interview- Veronica Grisham (4/12/15)

San Francisco, CA based solo eclectic rock artist Veronica Grisham gets interviewed and talks about her music shift from previous works, the California music scene and upcoming plans.
www.facebook.com/veronicag415
www.facebook.com/veronicag415
From: San Francisco, CA
Sounds like: Diverse Rock



1. How did you develop your new sound? How is this sound different than the "A Fallen Dream" music?

Developing a different sound was something that I had actually considered while I was still making music under the name A Fallen Dream. I always wanted to create another project besides AFD that sounded different but couldn’t do both at the same time. After being on hiatus for a while and coming out with songs that weren’t quite satisfactory to me I decided to start all over. I started AFD when I was 17 years old and I’m not exactly the same person now. The sound I’ve come up with is more mature me. I’m happier with where I am and what I’m doing and I think it’s starting to show in the new music.


2. What do you want listeners to take away from your music?

I would say to enjoy it for what it is. It’s music, if it moves you then that’s wonderful and if it doesn’t then that’s fine too. I say this because everyone definitely sees how people are commenting about bands on the internet (Youtube, Facebook, etc). It’s an eyesore for me to scroll down and look at hateful comments sometimes. People put so much effort into talking about how an artist needs to “go back to their old sound” or have somehow become a manager of all things music. I feel you can still respect someone as a musician knowing that’s what they want to do for the rest of their life and not be a fan of the music itself.


3. What can people expect on your upcoming "New Culture" EP?

A lot of different things. I’ve gone down a more melancholy and atmospheric path with the new sound. People should expect electronic to jazz/blues-rock to post-rock influences. If you took all of those things and put them in a heartfelt gloomy blender…that’s probably the best way to describe it.


4. What can people expect from your live show?

I’ve actually been thinking this same thing since I started working on the EP. What I think people might feel is refreshed and in a restorative mood. I want it to be fun experience so who knows what will happen?!


5. Who are three bands you’d like to tour with?

At the moment The Dear Hunter, This Will Destroy, and Deftones.


6. Any crazy show stories?

Not yet???


7. What’s your take on the current state of rock?

I don’t think it will ever get old because of they way that so many bands mix other genres with it and everyone’s backgrounds blending together. There’s a style of rock for everyone and I don’t see myself getting bored with it anytime soon.


8. What’s the current music scene like there in the California both locally and state wide?

I love the music scene here. I haven’t been here that long enough (a little over a year) to know how it is for other local bands as far as promotion and other band needs though. But there’s open mics everywhere, great venues, and bars that have different things going on each night of the week.


9. What’s your take on legal/illegal music downloading?

It’s always going to happen. It’s wrong and so many people do it but I just hope that those who are doing to bands they love are at least buying their merch and going to shows. In the end those people that are downloading that music are sharing with other people who might like it also.


10. What’s next for you?

A full-length for sure and playing shows. After making the big move from east coast to west, focusing on school, and working, I think I’ve found a good balance and feel really good about writing music for the future.


11. Any shoutouts?

I’d like to thank those who have supported me for making the big move to a different coast in pursuit of what I really want to do, my friend/roommate for taking the time out to shoot pictures of me in the “wilderness” for the album art and promos, and those who have stuck with me are liking the new sound so far.