-Interview- The Rorschach Tragedy 9/7/08

The Rorschach Tragedy
(Unsigned)

Genre: Screamocore akin to Blood Brothers or Norma Jean.
Interviewed on: 9/7/08
From: Tampa Bay, FL
www.myspace.com/therorschachtragedy

 http://www.myspace.com/therorschachtragedy


1. How you doin? You have any shows coming up?


Decent. Decent. I just moved to the Tampa Bay area from Seattle and as of current I don't have a permanent place to live or job yet but besides that things are good.

As of shows I'm still putting together a live band so in a way we do have some shows coming up I just don't know when they are yet!


2. Your artwork is very cool, what was the concept behind the covers?

The first album's cover goes along with the album ... so read the lyrics to figure it out! But I took the photo myself and used my incredible post-production talents to put simple text over it.

And the cover of the new demos is just something I did really quick ... I mean ... it's just text over black. That cover shows you that ALWAYS strive for excellence.


3. What is the meaning behind the name "The Rorschach Tragedy"?

I named it after the inkblot test which is the psychological evaluation involving black inkblots on white where you try to make out an image or images with the blots. The band name is sort of the idea that it's a tragedy that everything may be subjective just like different people will see different things with the same ink blots. That idea makes its way into the music but it's by no means a overruling theme of the band.


4. How is the search for other band members coming along?

The search is tough. It's tough when you don't really know anyone in the scene in a new area. It's like starting from scratch. I have been talking to some people though and some jams are going to occur in the very near future. It's a slow process but I'm trying to get to playing shows as soon as I can. I've never even heard my songs played live, it's sort of weird. I think the songs will work real well live, though. I'm excited.


5. What are your influences?

That's a big question. I could probably write forever on it. The biggest influences of The Rorschach Tragedy would probably be The Bled, The Fall of Troy, As Cities Burn, Underoath, and Converge. I say those bands because those were the bands that really changed my view on heavier music and made me really enjoy tragic, beautiful, heavy music. Years have passed since then though and there have been hundreds of more recent bands that influence me, too many to name. I listen to everything from Cartel to Dieselboy to The Locust. Everything influences me. Everything from things I like to things I dislike (country).

As an artist in general some big influences would be Ayn Rand, Hemingway, and Kubrick.


6. If you could tour with three bands who would they be?

Toby Keith, The Dixie Chicks, and Kellie Pickler. I would play third.


7. What are your thoughts on illegal music downloading?


It's a tough discussion. I think overall when all is said and done illegal downloading is beneficial to most indie bands. The exposure is worth the small loss of sales. People only have so much money anyways ... most of the time people download music they wouldn't have bought anyways.


8. What are you currently listening to?

Right now I'm listening to a lot of Death Cab, Devil Wears Prada, Legion of Doom, North, Danger Radio, Our Last Night, Sky Eats Airplane, August Burns Red, Eisley. Those are just the cds I have in my car because my mp3 input broke in the glove compartment. I hate it. So I listen to those bands over and over. I should burn some more.


9. What's next for The Rorschach Tragedy?

Shows, new record, lather, repeat.


10. Any shoutouts?

Heath Ledger and B-Mac, WE MISS YOU!